Russia’s “pivot” to Eurasia
New essay on Russia’s “pivot” to Eurasia
In a new essay collection published today, ECFR asked ten prominent Russian experts from across the political spectrum to explain why Russian elites are disappointed with Western policies and what this means for the resulting turn towards (Eur)asia. Among the authors is the CCEIS director Timofei V. Bordachev.
The main issues covered:
- The history of the idea of "Eurasia"and how it is applicable to the present day;
- Putin’s pet project – the Eurasian Union – and its prospects of success;
- Russia’s disappointment with the West;
- How Russia fears Chinese influence and competition and how it plans to "balance" it;
- The politics of energy in Russia’s pivot to (Eur)Asia;
- The impact of the Ukraine crisis and the annexation of Crimea.